Saturday, June 14, 2014

A CHRISTMAS MIRACLE




Christmastime is always a busy time of year with people scurrying to find those last minute gifts, buying all the trimmings for the Christmas feast, and trying on clothes for all those cocktail parties.

I was no different. I got up early to hit the stores. I still had a few gifts to buy and there were a few things I needed for Christmas dinner.

My first stop was the Metro grocery store where the Butterball turkeys were on sale. I didn't waste any time and cashed out at the self-check-out. I grabbed the bag and ripped the receipt out of the machine and was on my way. 

As I was driving to the next store, I realized that I had entered a cash back of twenty dollars, but in my haste I forgot to take it out of the machine's slot. 

Well, there goes twenty bucks. I sighed, but kept driving, knowing full well that the next person to use that check-out was now twenty bucks richer. 

I went to the other food store but couldn't get out of my mind the twenty bucks I had just lost. I finished getting the rest of my groceries and before going home decided to go back to Metro; it was a long shot but I just had to try or I wouldn't be able to sleep knowing that I didn't do all that I could have to get that twenty bucks back. After all, I wasn't rich.

I went to the cashier, but there was a different cashier there. I checked the cash back slot, but there was nothing there. I spoke with the cashier who was currently on duty and told her what happened. 

"Sorry, but I just got here," she said. 

I was about to thank her and walk away when she suddenly remembered something. 

"Hold on," she said as she opened the cash drawer and started rummaging through its contents. Then she showed me a note that said: Customer left this behind in slot 202. And attached to the note was twenty dollars!!!! 

"This must be yours," she said, handing me the note and money.

"Oh my God!" I  yelled, "I don't believe it!" I was ecstatic. I profusely thanked her and wanted to wrap my arms around her! I just couldn't believe it. I always think the worst of people around this time of year because the world just seems so hopeless these days, with our lack of jobs, our corrupt government, and our never ending struggle to make ends meet. People are desperate. 

I left the store with a big smile on my face and was a bit ashamed that I had forgotten that some people were still good and kind, and as I drove home I realized that this was just the universe's way of reminding me that the Spirit of Christmas was alive and well.