Monday, June 30, 2014

SUMMER VACATION

It's finally here. The kids are out of school, the weater is typically sweltering, the landscapers have planted all the flowers for the season, and the construction road-work has begun. Yes, folks, summer is finally here. And with the beginning of summer comes SUMMER VACATION. 

For the last few years my family and I have been vacationing "back home."  Journois, located on the west coast of Newfoundland about two hours from the ferry is where our grandparents grew up and raised their own families. They gathered and lived in little shacks at the mouth of Journois Brook, hence the name Journois, and made a living from the ocean.




Today, only a few houses remain. At the very end of the road there is a B&B my aunt, on my father's side, opened a few years back. 


My mother's sister and her husband live just down from there. 


My partner's father lives in a small home, closer to the shore. 



My brother and his family live farther down the road. 




This is where I live when I am on vacation. It's right next to my brother's house. I run an electrical cord and I'm all set.


At the end (or the beginning) of Journois is where my mother lives. 



What brings us back is the salty ocean air, which helps in the treatment of the following conditions:  

respiratory tract illnesses: chronic inflammation of mucous membranes, rhinitis and sinuses, throat and larynx, bronchial asthma, chronic inflammation of bronchi and lungs, and pneumoconiosis.

allergies and hypothyroidism (abnormally low activity of the thyroid gland, resulting in retardation of growth and mental development in children and adults).

vascular-cardiac ailments: circulatory insufficiency, post-infarction conditions, hypertension.

dermatological ailments: skin inflammation, psoriasis, eczema.

psychosomatic illnesses: neurosis, depression, exhaustion, stress resistance decrease.

As soon as we get off the plane at Stephenville Airport we immediately notice a difference in our breathing. Stuffed noses become unplugged, chest feels light, breating is less-labored.

After a week of walking on the beach, every muscle in my body is working in tip-top shape, my digestion has improved, my lungs inhale more oxygen, and my rosacea has cleared up; my hair is super-shiny, my skin doesn't need moisturizing, and my feet are as smooth as a baby's bottom. (Sand is a natural exfoliator.) 



Salt air contains trace amounts of the following minerals:

Calcium -increases defensive forces of the body resistance to infectious diseases, normalizes autonomic nervous system, prevents antiallergic reactions, and reinforces bone systems

Sodium - supports acidic - alkaline balance in the body, osmotic pressure and cell energetics

Potassium - acts against heart arrhythmia, against edemas and diuretically. Improves conditions of neuromuscular system and motor coordination

Magnesium - accelerates sending nervous impulses to muscles, acts as smooth muscle relaxant and as calming factor, anesthetizes, speeds up wound healing, lowers arterial blood pressure and prevents convulsions

Copper - improves function of the producing blood cells, increases hemoglobin level and decreases sugar level in blood, speeds up knitting fractured bones together, has anesthetic and anti-inflammatory effect

Bromine - lowers arterial blood pressure and prevents convulsions

Iodine - has anti-sclerotic effect, normalizes fat transformation in the body, and protects against radiation

Fluorine - strengthens bones and teeth, stimulates immunity and protects against radiation

So, if I can't sell you on a trip to Newfoundland, then make sure your summer vacation is near a body of salt water. Spend time at the beach, it not only heals the body, but heals the mind and spirit. 


Source: Wikipedia