Tuesday, February 3, 2015

LOVE HURTS, OR DOES IT?

Remember the old Nazareth song “Love Hurts?”  

I was eight years old when Nazareth recorded the song in 1975. I wasn’t really into music then and the only songs I remember listening to on the transistor radio were Kung-Fu Fighting by Carl Douglas, Seasons in the Sun by Terry Jacks, and The Night Chicago Died by Paper Lace. As a matter of fact, I really didn’t dig it until my mid-teens when my step-father brought home an 8-track player, and mail ordering from Columbia House was all the rage. Even though Nazareth wasn’t the original band to play the song, it was the best version, especially for that era. It was a short song, but the rock and roll melody made it a classic.

From what I can remember, the first line goes like this:

Love hurts, love scars, love wounds, and mars… 

Now there were some pretty profound words. Well, at least for a fifteen year old who didn’t know if she was coming or going. They were relevant at the time. Heck, every song was relevant. It seemed every song I heard was directly related to my life. 

Now that I’m older, much older, I understand the song differently. Love doesn’t hurt, scar, or wound—people hurt you. Love is the most beautiful thing we have in this world. I believe it is the only thing that keeps us going. The world today is a very dangerous place, but we are able to cope because of love. 

In my experience, it’s the people close to you who say they love you who hurt you the most. The people with whom you share your life with are the ones who hurt you, and on purpose. Love helps you to forgive them. 

Love is there from the beginning of your life and stays with you until the end. It gets you through the good and bad times in your life, even when you feel it isn’t there. It endures through time. Love makes you see the good in things, the good in people, and the good in life itself.  

Love hurts? Seriously? Really? What was I thinking back then?