Sunday, November 8, 2015

REMEMBRANCE DAY TV COMMERCIAL: POPPY









When I first saw this commercial I wasn't quite sure what it was about, until the end. I cried when I saw what she had given him. Then, later, when I saw the commercial again, I cried some more. I cried when I saw it the third time, and so on. I cannot watch this commerical without tears forming in my eyes.

I don't how or when I became so soft. I wasn't always like this. I used to be a selfish, self-absorbed, self-serving person. I never put one second of thought into Remembrance Day or WWI or II, or any other war. I was too busy tending to my own needs: what I wanted, what I needed, what I could get. 

I've come to realize (in my old age) that I was never truly happy being that way. I was miserable, depressed, and always searching for happiness. I took it where I found it, but it was all only temporary. Then, I became a Mom, and things changed. I began to look at the world in a whole new way. I became truly happy by making someone else (my son) happy, and I soon found out that that attitude, that attribute, could be used outside of the home as well. I found out that happiness really did come by making others happy, by serving others, and I don't mean actually serving others, I mean putting somone else's needs before your own.

Watching this commerical makes me think of all the people who lost their lives because they were selfless, and it makes me cry because it took me so long to become fully aware of what it means to be selfless. The sacrifice soldiers made and continue to make everyday for their families, friends, and country brings tears to my eyes. I can't possibly imagine what it was like serving in a war, but at least now, I have some idea of its depth and breadth.

So, to all the soldiers out there who fight everyday for our freedom, I thank you. And to all of those who have passed, I hope you know that you did not die in vain.

Amen.